@abb

the commenting app

In July 2017, I joined ABB and started my first project — a commenting plugin. For 6 months, I was helping the team to define the aim of the plugin, design a solution and in the end increase the engagement among ABB employees. This experience helped me to learn the user-centred design process and practise UX methodologies.

  • company ABB
  • role UX/UI Designer
  • date Jul 2017 — Jan 2018

challenge

The communication team needed a way to engage their employees to interact with the posted content not only by commenting, but also by rating and sharing more often. In addition, the solution had to be easily adaptable to the company’s future content platforms.

results

As a result, the development team delivered their commenting plugin that sparked more engagement than the previous ones. A solution tailored to the needs which we discovered during the user research. What is more, the user research allowed the team to redefine the goal – and, in the end, cut the scope of work and development time. ABB employees can now use effective, fast ways of reacting to ABB content posted on the intranet.

process and work

In-depth user experience research to learn users habits. Crafting personas to bring users close to the development team. Fast, interactive prototyping to verify designed solutions and interaction metaphors.

Process diagram

research

I analysed the last five years of users’ behaviour and responses towards the posted content. Doing benchmark, running interviews and creating personas made us realise that our main goal isn’t simply to make people comment more often. Instead, the real challenge was to let them interact in an easier way, like giving “likes” and “dislikes”. Hence, our goal changed from achieving a bigger number of comments, to a bigger number of interactions in general.

Screenshot from the benchmark

Part of the analyse for a benchmark.

ideation / prototyping

I’ve started the ideation phase by creating many rapid paper prototypes / low-fidelity wireframes. This way I could start with a broad vision and come up with many variations. Then I moved my ideas to the Sketch and created many artboards. Designing UI for the plugin was an iterative process that included many consultations with the development team and other designers.

UI design of the app

validation

The prototype of the new solution was tested locally using a corridor testing method. I tested e.g. the buttons’ placement, font sizes and ratings. It made it possible to pick up UI bugs and instantly adjust the prototype.